Possible Short Story Selection

October 3rd, 2011

I was thinking about  reading a short story about humor because an enjoyable comedy is a memorable comedy. It can be hard to forget a really funny joke. Also humor can have many layers especially in literature where an author can be limiteless in word play and ambiguities. A story that eloquently harnesses this aspect becomes extremely well known and a classic for other authors to create their own renditions. It reminds my of a play that I read in high school called the, Importance of Being Ernest, in which everything was not what it seemed. Although it was confusing at times, its layers of indirect conversation made it difficult to know the story but amusing to try to find the plot.

The story that I may choose is The Little Frenchman and His Water Lots. I may choose this story because it is an American story about a Frenchman. T o my knowledge French can be a very difficult language to learn and sometimes when people find a challenge to understand something, they tend to discredit the value in the information and make fun of it . I’m under the impression by the title of the story that the American perspective of the French is negative and disrepectful. I may be wrong but I am curious to find what arrogance America may be serving up this time.

The author is George Pope Morris.I was unfamiliar to his other works of literature previous to this assignment. After a little research learned that he was a poet and song writer. He was also the first to publish a copy of Edgar Allen Poe’s, The Raven.

Trackback URI | Comments are closed.